ajs583 | Graduate
Legal Issues In Justice And Security
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Goals, Objectives, and Challenges of Justice and Security Organizations
- Identify the roles of the federal, state, and local court systems with respect to public safety and civil rights.
- Describe the goals and objectives of federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
- Explain the challenges facing federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
- Compare the objectives of probation, parole, and correctional organizations in regard to public safety and individual rights.
- Explain the privatization of government services with respect to policing, courts, and corrections.
- Explain the role of corporate or private security.
Public Safety Versus Civil Rights
- Evaluate the impact of the USA PATRIOT Act and related legislation on civil rights.
- Analyze issues related to diversity, race, ethnicity, gender, age, and religion as they relate to law enforcement and security services.
- Evaluate the impact of technology and globalization on privacy rights.
- Evaluate the balance of individual rights against public safety.
- Describe the influence of domestic and international terrorism in relation to government agencies and private security.
Influence of Public Opinion and Special Interest Groups on Public Safety and Civil Rights
- Analyze the influence of media and technology on security and public safety.
- Analyze the influence of special interest groups on public safety and civil rights.
- Compare the impact of the general public and special interest groups on agency policy or practice.
Foundations of the American Legal System
- Evaluate Supreme Court decisions that relate to public safety and privacy issues.
- Describe the statutory authority and responsibilities of government officials, security personnel, and private citizens.
- Explain laws relating to search, seizure, and surveillance by police, corrections, security personnel, and private citizens.
- Compare the laws relating to the use of force by police, corrections, and private security.
Roles of Criminal Justice Personnel and Private Security
- Evaluate daily practices of public and private agencies.
- Compare the roles and objectives of government employees versus private security.
- Compare legal, ethical, managerial, and economic issues related to public and private agencies.
- Identify trends of police, courts, corrections, and privatized security.
Factors Influencing Criminal Justice Personnel Behavior
- Identify the influence of liability, accountability, and economic impact on policing, corrections, and private security agencies.
- Explain the concept of civilian oversight in criminal justice.
- Evaluate the discretionary authority of police, court officers, and correctional personnel.
- Assess factors affecting criminal justice personnel behavior.
- Explain how policy, practice, and procedures affect policing, corrections, and private security.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.