aut511 | Graduate
Autism Spectrum Disorders: Diagnosis And Assessment
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Etiology of Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Explain the current theories about the causation of autism spectrum disorders.
- Identify the characteristics used in diagnosing autism spectrum disorders.
- Explain the process of identifying students with autism spectrum disorders.
- Differentiate the diagnosis classification of autism spectrum disorders under the DSM-IV and the DSM-V.
Assessment Issues and Controversies
- Identify the ethical concerns of the assessment of autism spectrum disorders.
- Identify local legal provisions, regulations, and guidelines for assessing autism spectrum disorders.
Assessment Support and Interpretation
- Define basic assessment terminology.
- Develop observation forms for diagnosis, referral, and ongoing progress monitoring.
- Identify key elements in an assessment report.
Implications for Programming and Placement
- Explain how effective ongoing assessment works.
- Describe how a teacher can organize a classroom to collect data for assessment.
- Determine how assessment in communication and language skills can aid in appropriate intervention selection and placement.
- Identify the procedures for assessment and placement decisions.
- Identify components of an individualized education program.
- Relate assessment to placement decisions.
- Identify ethical concerns inherent in the placement of students with autism spectrum disorders.
- Describe strategies to address challenging behavior and to engage the student in academic tasks.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.