ble572 | Graduate
This graduate-level course is 4 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Purpose and Planning of Assessment for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Define similarities and differences among the three purposes of assessment.
- Describe the implications for classroom assessment practices of linguistically diverse students.
- Discuss teacher readiness for diversity, and its implications for bilingual learner achievement outcomes.
- Explain why high-stakes, formal assessments are not valid or reliable for bilingual learners.
- Describe problematic consequences of an increasing emphasis on standardized/formal assessment for bilingual learners.
- Explain the process and rationale of a planning chart that aligns to learning goals, instruction, and assessment.
- Describe the role of taxonomies as an aid for writing learning goals.
- Explain why assessment is essential to success as a teacher.
- Describe key characteristics of authentic assessments.
- Identify the advantages of performance-based assessments and portfolio assessments.
- Explain the importance of using rubrics, checklists, and questionnaires for authentically assessing bilingual learners.
- Detail the steps for creating a rubric and checklist for authentically assessing bilingual learners.
Content Area Assessment
- Differentiate between formative and summative content area assessments.
- Explain the role of language development and content area assessments.
- Describe the characteristics of content area assessments for the bilingual learner.
- Identify questions grade-level teachers should consider when creating content area assessments for bilingual learners.
Language Proficiency Assessment
- Explain the need to assess the bilingual learnerâs native language proficiency.
- Define the five language subsystems.
- Describe the role of the home language survey results in instructional planning.
- Compare the types of formal and informal language proficiency assessments.
- Evaluate the process of identification, placement, and monitoring for language support of the bilingual learner.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.