Critical Thinking & Decision Making in the Public Sector
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
This course provides students opportunities for analysis, synthesis, prescription, and application of critical thinking and decision making within the organization. Emphasis is placed on preparing managers who can deal clearly, rationally, and creatively with a diverse workforce in a dynamic workplace. This course equips students with concrete skills in critical thinking and decision making that will allow them to identify and solve organizational problems, as well as provide strategic direction.
- BPA/201 – Foundations of Public Administration or equivalent
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
- Describe the process of framing and discuss how framing aids in the decision-making process.
- Discuss situations when framing would be appropriate in the decision-making process.
- Identify challenges with forming group decisions in the public sector.
- Describe diversity management.
- Discuss the differences between diversity management and equal opportunity.
- Identify the components of an effective diversity management policy.
- Analyze the effects of categorizing individuals into demographic categories.
- Describe the approaches used to understand and manage diversity in the public sector.
- Discuss the role of leadership in promoting diversity management in the public sector.
- Discuss the recruitment strategies used in building diversity in the public sector.
- Describe the components of strategic thinking.
- Discuss the four types of strategic leadership.
- Describe the foundation of creating a good leadership base.
- Describe the four strategic leaders and their strategy for succeeding.
- Discuss the process of creating a strategy.
- Discuss the methods for implementing change for success.
- Describe the methods for identifying the path for change.