bshs385 | undergraduate
Interpersonal Communication And Interviewing Skills
Human Services delivery requires expertise in communicating well with a wide range of people and groups. A key component of effective communication is the development of genuine positive regard for others, skill in establishing empathic relationships, and obtaining information needed for effective intervention with successful outcomes. This course provides knowledge of theory and practice in interpersonal communication. Students will learn skills for resolving conflict, establishing positive rapport, assisting clients in becoming clear about goals and focusing on outcomes, and practicing professional and ethical behaviors in all client interactions. Students will complete Modules 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the MHF training. (3 credits) Prerequisite: BSHS 415-O.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Effective Listening Skills
- Describe how social bonds assist in the listening process.
- Explain how to communicate effectively.
- Explain effective listening strategies during the interview process.
Examining Communication in Relationships
- Analyze the use of communication in family and romantic relationships.
- Assess the role of conflict in relationships.
- Explain the purpose of self-disclosure.
Developing Interview and Interpersonal Skills
- Apply effective interview skills.
- Explain how to use effective questions.
- Explain the three-stage model of interviewing.
Information Gathering, Assessments, and Change
- Apply each type of information-giving response.
- Explain techniques to overcome challenges to cooperation.
- Distinguish among the characteristics of the interviewing phases.
- Describe the five stages of change.
- Demonstrate reflecting content using paraphrasing or summarization.
- Apply reflection to feelings and responses.
- Describe the use of emotions in interpersonal communication.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.