bshs456 | undergraduate
Addiction Interventions For Human Service Workers
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Comprehending the Significance of Addiction Assessment
- Identify SAMHSA’s five objectives and how they can be applied to particular cases.
- Determine important guiding principles regarding assessment for human service workers.
- Examine assessment instruments and their importance to screening, evaluation, and diagnosis of addiction.
The Treatment of Addiction, Part 1
- Describe the value and important factors for effective group treatment with addiction.
- Distinguish between the 12-step treatment for addiction and the rational recovery model.
- Identify important professional issues in addictions treatment.
- Analyze the methodology of motivational interviewing and how it supports progress for the client.
- Examine the stages and framework of Prochaska’s change model.
The Treatment of Addiction, Part 2
- Describe the various psychotherapeutic approaches for treating addiction.
- Examine the issues requiring further consideration in treatment when there is a co-occurring disorder.
- Define pharmacotherapy and how it can be helpful in addiction treatment.
Treatment Issues with Special Populations
- Determine specific treatment areas related to gender or ethnicity, people with disabilities, and LGBT populations that may need special consideration.
- Explore the type of treatment settings that might best serve different addiction populations.
- Identify the importance of addressing the prejudice special populations face in addition to their addiction recovery.
Understanding Drug, Alcohol, and Non-Substance-Related Addictions and Negative Societal Effects
- Explore the various models for explaining the etiology of addiction.
- Distinguish between the variances of addictive substances and the effects they have on neurobiology and physiology.
- Examine the role family systems play on the addictive process.
- Compare and contrast food, sexual, and gambling addictions, and the effect on society.
- Analyze the complexity of societal interventions on addiction due to the power of institutionalized businesses.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.