bshs322 | undergraduate
Communication Skills For The Human Services Professional
topic title goes here
- Describe the four major parts of a working agreement
- Explore developing trusting professional relationships with participants and staff
- Explain the factors of effective exploration and elaboration
- Develop exploration and goal-setting skills
Gaining New Perspectives and Behaviors
- Exhibit the ability to use effective problem solving strategies in the management of human service staff
- Outline ways to assist a client or staff member in creating alternative perspectives
- Exhibit an understanding of the various techniques for helping people change
- Describe common features of crisis and effective crisis intervention that may be applicable for staff in the human service arena
The Professional Human Services Relationship
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship dynamics, issues, and process between clinicians and clients and staff
- Describe self-disclosure and boundary issues that may occur in the course of a human services relationship, and their importance for human service staff
- Identify key factors related to transitions and termination of the helping relationship with clients and staff
The Human Services Interview—A Different Kind of Talking
- Explore and demonstrate an understanding of the historical development of various interpersonal communication theories
- Describe important characteristics of the interpersonal interview environment
- Examine the process of preparing for a client or staff interview
- Create a positive communication atmosphere when beginning an interview
Listening, Verbal and Non-verbal Communication
- Develop an understanding of the role of verbal communications in the helping relationship
- Develop an understanding of the role of nonverbal communications in the helping relationship
- Demonstrate active and accurate listening skills to interpret client or staff messages
- Interpret feedback to show empathy and a supportive presence
- Analyze verbal and nonverbal cues found in the helping relationship
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.