bshs345 | undergraduate
Diversity And Special Populations
topic title goes here
The Depth of Challenges People Face: Part 1
- Explain the effect of historical trauma on individuals, families, and cultures in society.
- Identify the complex factors involved in overcoming generational poverty.
- Explain challenges older adults face when there is a lack of access to employment.
- Outline the unique challenges women face at different life stages.
- Describe important factors to consider when working with special populations such as Native Americans and Asian Americans.
The Depth of Challenges People Face: Part 2
- Describe important factors to consider when working with special populations such as African Americans, Latin Americans, Arab and Muslim Americans, and White ethnic clients.
- Describe important factors to consider when working with the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
- Explain how standard educational practices may not meet the needs of the differently abled.
Strategies for Working With Diverse Cultures and Special Populations
- Explain how to stop invidious comparison.
- Describe strength-based approaches that empower clients.
- Compare interventions that combine Western healing and traditional indigenous healing approaches.
- Identify strategies for avoiding vicarious traumatization.
Becoming Culturally Aware
- Explain why an understanding of diversity is important for the human service worker.
- Explain the importance of understanding cultural differences.
- Identify uses of language and the connection to cultural competence.
- Explain the concept of White privilege.
- Describe how the institutionalized "isms" affect opportunity for diverse groups.
Becoming Culturally Competent: The Basics
- Describe how to apply cultural identity development models.
- Summarize how discrimination affects physical and mental health.
- Explain ways to minimize the negative ramifications of bias in service delivery.
- Define diversity skills, and explain how they promote cultural competence.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.