bshs382 | undergraduate
Research And Statistics
topic title goes here
Observation and Measurement
- Define reliability and validity in measurement.
- Describe types of reliability and validity relevant in human services and managerial research.
- Explain how measures of reliability and validity are important for data collection methods and instruments in human services and managerial research.
- Differentiate among systematic strategies of data collection.
- Differentiate between field studies, surveys, quasi-experimental methods, and randomized experiments in human services research.
Introduction to Research and the Scientific Method
- Differentiate between qualitative, quantitative, and mixed method approaches to research.
- Identify ethical considerations in behavioral research.
- Describe the key elements of a systematic research study.
- Explain the scientific method applied within the context of human services and administrative research.
Survey Design and Describing Data
- Define descriptive statistical measures.
- Calculate the variance and standard deviation of a population.
- Compute the confidence interval around a population mean.
- Calculate z scores for nomally distributed data.
- Develop a survey research design to minimize bias and collect valuable data for human services research.
Measuring Correlation and Making Inferences
- Distinguish among methods of establishing correlation between variables.
- Graph the correlation of variables.
- Explain the purpose of null hypothesis testing.
- Interpret the statistical significance of r .
- Define statistical inference.
- Explain the logic of hypothesis testing and the role of the null hypothesis.
Statistical Significance and Tests
Describe the Z- and T-tests for comparing differences between means.
- Describe how to use ANOVA to compare more than two conditions in research.
- Explain the purpose of chi-square and when to apply it.
- Assess the effectiveness of human services research.
- Differentiate between descriptive and inferential statistics and how they support the human services research process.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.