bshs455 | undergraduate
Working With Addictions
This undergraduate-level course is 5 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Prevention and Controversy Related to Addiction and the Role of Human Service Workers in Service Delivery
- Analyze ways human service workers can advocate for various levels of victims of the drug culture.
- Describe how prevention strategies can be used to reduce abuse and addiction in US society.
- Discuss the pros and cons of the current legal interventions involved with drugs.
- Identify the role of human service workers to deliver information and guidance to addicts and their families.
The Influence of Addiction on Individuals, Families, and Communities
- Examine the consequences of addiction on communities.
- Describe the influence of addiction on individuals.
- Trace the outcomes of addiction on families.
The Etiology of Addiction
- Describe how substance use affects the brain and body chemistry.
- Identify the physical and psychological influences of various substances.
- Compare the different models of conceptualizing addiction.
The Impact of Addiction on Specialized Populations
- Explain the unique challenges related to addiction faced by the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations.
- Determine the factors that must be considered when working with various ethnic populations with addiction issues.
- Analyze the unique challenges when working with elderly adults who have addiction issues.
- Examine the complications of dual diagnosis.
Overview of Assessment, Treatment, and Recovery of Addiction
- Describe techniques for assessing addiction, including differences that may be needed for specialized populations.
- Explain treatment interventions for addiction.
- Determine significant treatment factors for specialized populations beyond generalized interventions.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.