ccmh510pr | Graduate
Multicultural Issues In Mental Health Counseling
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Sociopolitical, Educational, Career, Social, and Personal Growth
- Examine the social justice role of counselors in eliminating intentional and unintentional oppression and discrimination.
- Evaluate the educational, professional, and social struggles often facing diverse groups.
- Identify common public policy and advocacy issues associated with the accessibility of mental health services.
The Role of the Counselor and the Counseling Process
- Compare how various cultures define the role of the counselor and the role of the client.
- Discuss commonalities and differences that exist among diverse groups regarding their attitudes, beliefs, needs, and philosophies toward the counseling process.
- Assess local counseling resources and referral agencies that specialize in a subgroup or population.
Overview of Cultural Counseling: Current State of the Profession
- Describe personal biases, prejudices, and limitations associated with worldview.
- Describe contemporary issues.
- Summarize the historical development of cultural counseling.
- Define worldview, culture, ethnicity, prejudice, and privilege.
Exploring Individual Lifespan and Lifestyle From a Cultural Perspective
- Identify the dynamics of diversity and cultural upbringing as they pertain to the counselor in training.
- Explain the development of racial and cultural identity.
- Determine how differences in culture and context between the counselor and the client may affect counselor effectiveness.
- Examine the concerns and struggles often facing cultural counselors in a predominantly North American, youth-oriented, and able-bodied society.
Cultural Counselor Competencies and Ethical Considerations
- Examine AMCD multicultural competencies for counselors.
- Describe the characteristics of an effective cultural counselor.
Examine ethical guidelines for counseling clients from diverse groups.
Competent Counseling Interventions for Diverse Populations
- Identify cross-cultural issues and interventions.
- Identify specific counseling interventions for diverse populations.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.