Cultural Diversity Issues In Criminal Justice – cja344 (3 credits)
This course offers a comprehensive, critical and balanced examination of the issues of crime and justice with respect to race and ethnicity. Procedures and policy in a pluralistic and multicultural society are examined relative to law enforcement, courts and corrections environments.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Contemporary Cultural Diversity Issues in Criminal Justice
- Assess the criminal justice system’s response to the public’s perception of ethnic and gender bias.
- Assess whether the criminal justice system discriminates against any group.
- Identify contemporary issues related to disparity and discrimination in the criminal justice system.
Ethnicity, Social Structure, and Crime Victims and Offenders
- Describe the history of gangs and their influence on youth.
- Describe the occurrence of hate crimes on people of various ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, and sexual orientations.
- Explain the relationship between police and people of various ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, and sexual orientations.
- Explain the factors related to ethnicity and socioeconomic statuses that lead to disparity in the criminal justice system.
- Describe how the historical development of policing relates to current concerns regarding multiculturalism.
- Interpret victimization, offender rates, and statistical data for different ethnic groups.
Ethnicity and the Police
- Identify contemporary concerns relative to policing particular ethnic communities.
- Examine how police practices affect police–community relations.
- Explain officer attitudes, police corruption, and citizen complaints relative to ethnicity.
- Analyze public opinion about the police..
Ethnicity and the Courts
- Summarize the effect of ethnicity on courtroom proceedings.
- Identify disparity and discrimination issues in courtroom proceedings.
- Explain the need for diversity among courtroom personnel and whether ethnicity influences judicial practices.
- Evaluate the efficacy of jury nullification when premised on ethnic considerations.
Ethnicity and Corrections
- Describe the issue of ethnic disparity and discrimination within corrections.
- Identify the significance of cultural diversity as it relates to correctional facilities.
- Explain ethnic disparity issues as they relate to the juvenile justice system.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.