cjs240 | undergraduate
Introduction To Juvenile Justice
This undergraduate-level course is 9 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Juvenile Corrections and Treatment
- Summarize important issues impacting institutionalized juveniles.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of juvenile probation officers.
- Explain community-based treatment efforts.
- Discuss the importance of aftercare programs.
Gender Differences and Family Impact
- Explain how family makeup and behavior influence delinquency.
- Critique the child protection system.
- Discuss gender discrimination in the juvenile justice system.
- Describe current explanations for gender differences and delinquency.
Childhood Development and Delinquency
- Discuss juvenile accountability.
- Identify the risk factors associated with chronic offenders.
- Identify the pros and cons of Uniform Crime Report (UCR) and self-report data.
Drug Use and Control
- Describe the key reasons for youth drug use.
- Explain the relationship between drug use and delinquency.
- Assess the major drug control strategies.
Peers, Juvenile Gangs, and School
- Recognize theories of gang development.
- Discuss the impact of adolescent peer relations.
- Describe the relationship between academic performance and delinquency.
- Explain methods to control gang activity.
Individual Theories of Delinquency
- Discuss individual theories of delinquency.
- Differentiate between general deterrence, specific deterrence, and situational crime prevention.
Sociological Theories of Delinquency
- Give examples of social disorganization.
- Discuss the impact of social structure theories on delinquency prevention.
- Identify examples of the application of sociological theories of delinquency.
The Juvenile Delinquent and the System
- Discuss the future of juvenile justice.
- Debate a contemporary issue in juvenile justice.
The Juvenile Justice System
- Examine issues within the juvenile court process.
- Identify the main components of a comprehensive juvenile justice strategy.
- Compare and contrast the juvenile and adult justice systems.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.