cnsl547 | Graduate
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Discuss the interaction of counseling within and between the larger system of family, school, and culture
- Examine the use of confrontation in counseling
- Explore basic influencing strategies
Assessment and Termination Planning
- Define the role of termination and referral in the counseling relationship
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze and critique individual skills and identify areas requiring improvement and develop strategies of improvements
Defining Personality and Change
- Review working theories and theoretical orientations of counseling personality and behavior change
- Integrate attending skills with a working theoretical orientation
- Define the theoretical model that influences the manner in which the counselor helps clients
- Identify current strategies for treatment of common presenting problems based on a specific theoretical orientation in view of the current standards of care
Establishing Priorities and Goals
- Develop a well-written and comprehensive treatment plan from assessment data
- Identify and prioritize presented problems
- Facilitate client goal-setting and intervention / action plans
- Define the role of questioning in assessment and intervention
- Develop client observation skills in relationship to verbal and nonverbal cues and responses
- Identify the influence of factors such as age, gender, and ethnicity in the counseling relationship
Enhancing the Therapeutic Relationship
- Describe how to elicit critical client content and incorporate it into the therapeutic process
- Identify and develop strategies to address client resistance at various points in the therapeutic relationship
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.