cpss330 | undergraduate
Essentials Of Communication In Corrections
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Describe the application of the principles of interpersonal communication to the correctional system.
- Explain how differences in types of inmate language affect communication.
- Describe the key concepts of the basic communication process.
- Identify special issues related to communicating with inmates and offenders of diverse cultures and mental capacities.
Ethics in Communication
- Describe ethical guidelines for communicating with the general public and family members of inmates and offenders.
- Identify limitations in communication.
- Formulate a plan for maintaining boundaries in situations with inmate or offender manipulation.
Communicating in Corrections
- Apply effective communication strategies in specific situations within the correctional system.
Introduction to Communication
- Describe the importance of effective communication in corrections.
- Explain the necessity of properly written documentation in the corrections setting.
- Describe the role of written documentation in corrections.
- Explain the role of listening in communication.
Communicating With Inmates and Offenders
- Identify the components of motivational interviewing.
- Examine the use of de-escalation and crisis intervention strategies in specific situations.
- Describe the use of negotiation techniques for specific situations.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.