csc390 | undergraduate
Culture And Communication
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Communication and the Connections to Culture
- Examine cultural communication issues related to language.
- Discuss negotiations of cultural identity via cultural contracts theory, identity management theory, and the communication theory of identity.
- Define self-identity as it relates to intercultural communication.
- Explore the influences of art, music, and dance in cultural communication.
Symbols, Rituals, Artifacts, and Cultural Awareness in Communication
- Determine effective techniques to improve cultural awareness and communication among people in a multicultural society.
- Examine the meanings of symbols, rituals, and artifacts of different cultures.
- Define intercultural competence and identify its levels.
Defining Intercultural Communication and Understanding Cultural Generalizations
- Illustrate how cultural generalizations lead to misinterpretations.
- Describe how culture affects intercultural communication.
- Discuss the interrelationships between communication and culture.
Cultural Communication Biases and Opportunities in the Workforce
- Analyze globalization vs. hierarchies of cultures in regard to prejudice.
- Understand the importance of Mead’s theory of symbolic interactionism.
- Define co-cultural group theory and how it affects labeling international students and new immigrants.
- Recognize false perceptions of women and minorities in society and in the workforce.
Exploring Where We Are Now and Where We are Going
- Review the challenges and opportunities within intercultural communication for female and minority success in the future.
- Discuss how technology influences intercultural communication.
- Examine how mass media portrayals of various cultural and social identities (race, gender, sexuality, and ethnicity) affect communication.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.