csc390 | undergraduate
Culture And Communication
This undergraduate-level course is 5 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Cultural Communication Biases and Opportunities in the Workforce
- Recognize false perceptions of women and minorities in society and in the workforce.
- Analyze globalization vs. hierarchies of cultures in regard to prejudice.
- Define co-cultural group theory and how it affects labeling international students and new immigrants.
- Understand the importance of Meadâs theory of symbolic interactionism.
Exploring Where We Are Now and Where We are Going
- Examine how mass media portrayals of various cultural and social identities (race, gender, sexuality, and ethnicity) affect communication.
- Discuss how technology influences intercultural communication.
- Review the challenges and opportunities within intercultural communication for female and minority success in the future.
Defining Intercultural Communication and Understanding Cultural Generalizations
- Describe how culture affects intercultural communication.
- Discuss the interrelationships between communication and culture.
- Illustrate how cultural generalizations lead to misinterpretations.
Symbols, Rituals, Artifacts, and Cultural Awareness in Communication
- Determine effective techniques to improve cultural awareness and communication among people in a multicultural society.
- Examine the meanings of symbols, rituals, and artifacts of different cultures.
- Define intercultural competence and identify its levels.
Communication and the Connections to Culture
- Examine cultural communication issues related to language.
- Explore the influences of art, music, and dance in cultural communication.
- Define self-identity as it relates to intercultural communication.
- Discuss negotiations of cultural identity via cultural contracts theory, identity management theory, and the communication theory of identity.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.