ece507 | Graduate
Early Childhood Assessment
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Role and Purpose of Assessment
- Analyze the influences of technological advancements, medical advancements, and educational research on early childhood education.
- Explain the purpose and role of assessment through a social-historical perspective.
- Describe the role of assessments in an early childhood learning environment.
- Identify the roles of family, medical professionals, and educators in the early childhood assessment process.
- Define assessment in the use of curriculum and intentional teaching.
Types of Assessments in an Early Childhood Setting
- Examine the theoretical models or types of assessment tools.
- Define assessment goals and key elements of assessment with regard to developmentally appropriate practice in early childhood.
- Explore the purpose of individual assessment tools.
- Define relevant components in selecting an appropriate assessment tool.
- Examine the format of assessment tools in regard to relevance of areas of assessment interest.
- Describe the essential characteristics of a good measurement instrument for evaluating children’s learning.
Designing Quality Assessments
- Define the purpose of a systematic assessment practice and setting goals for instructional design.
- Examine multiple developmental domains interrelated to the assessment goals.
- Identify the importance of selecting a variety of assessment tools to achieve assessment goals.
- Analyze the importance of evaluating assessment tools to influence effective instructional activities, enhance curriculum, and modify the learning environment to achieve learning goals.
- Understand the multiple influences of culture, family, technology, and language in the design and implementation of assessments.
- Develop documentation, recording, and evaluation techniques.
Interpretation and Application of Assessments; Record Keeping
- Understand the role of learning models and learning theories in the interpretation and application of assessments.
- Interpret differences in assessment tools and outcomes.
- Evaluate strengths, learning potentials, and differences in assessment outcomes.
- Apply assessment results to instructional strategies including curriculum development, materials, learning activities, and classroom environment.
Communication of Assessment Process with Stakeholders
- Identify stakeholders to include in the communication of assessment.
- Examine the benefits, effectiveness and appropriateness of community and family collaboration.
- Develop appropriate and mutually beneficial venues for communication.
- Identify additional community, school, or district resources for children and families based on assessments.
- Explain the role of government funding and mandates in the assessment process.
- Identify barriers in a collaborative process.
- All objectives apply.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.