ech420 | undergraduate
Methods Of Teaching In Early Childhood: Science
This undergraduate-level course is 5 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Early Childhood Science Content and Technology
- Discuss developmentally effective uses of technology in early childhood and science education.
- Explore developmentally appropriate science content related to early childhood learning experiences in physical, Earth, and life sciences.
Assessments of Science Instruction
- Identify developmentally effective assessment strategies that demonstrate scientific understanding.
- Develop an assessment plan to guide instruction of science content and skills.
- Use assessment data, including observation and documentation, to guide instructional decisions.
- Identify a variety of methods used to assess learning in science.
Developing a Scientific Environment for Young Children
- Identify essential materials and useful resources for teaching science in the early childhood setting.
- Employ methods for meeting the needs of all young learners in the science-based classroom environment.
- Analyze the design or layout of an early childhood setting for science instruction.
- Describe appropriate classroom management and safety practices in the science classroom.
- Explore opportunities for family participation in a science-based young childrenâs classroom environment.
- Design early childhood science extension activities for the home environment.
Foundations of Science Instruction
- Examine the effects of early childhood education on the position and policies of the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), including the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Explore theories of developmentally appropriate early childhood science instruction.
- Demonstrate understanding of science process skills for young children.
- Identify early childhood content area standards.
Teaching and Planning of Hands-On Science in Early Childhood
- Identify process skills necessary for the teaching and learning of science in the early childhood setting.
- Examine ways in which young learners can use exploration and observation to build a meaningful foundation of science concepts.
- Integrate science content across the curriculum.
- Describe the design of a science lesson plan for young children.
- Develop strategies to encourage inquiry in young learners.
- Examine literature sources that support scientific understanding for the young child.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.