ech539 | Graduate
Methods Of Teaching In Early Childhood: Math And Science
topic title goes here
The Teaching and Learning of Science in Early Childhood
- Identify process skills necessary for the teaching and learning of science in the early childhood setting.
- Examine literature sources that support scientific understandings for the young child.
- Identify differences between nature study and scientific inquiry in early childhood learning experiences.
- Examine ways in which young learners can use exploration and observation to build a meaningful foundation of science concepts.
- Identify developmentally effective assessment strategies that demonstrate scientific understandings.
- Explore the concepts related to early childhood learning experiences in physical, earth, and life sciences.
- Differentiate between conceptual understanding and procedural knowledge in the teaching and learning of science in early childhood.
Early Childhood Instructional Strategies
- Compare and contrast constructivist and traditional teaching methods in early childhood math and science instruction.
- Employ methods of differentiated instruction for math and science in the early childhood setting.
- Demonstrate developmentally effective questioning strategies.
- Use appropriate multimedia to support early childhood math and science instruction.
- Identify early childhood classroom management considerations in math and science instruction.
Early Childhood Classroom Activities for Math and Science
- Identify procedures for conducting a math or science classroom activity in an early childhood setting.
- Locate appropriate resources for early childhood math and science activities.
- Modify an early childhood math or science lesson to meet the needs of diverse learners.
Early Childhood Learning Environments
- Identify early childhood commercial math and science programs.
- Analyze the design/layout of an early childhood setting for math and for science instruction.
- Review state and school site policies on health and safety in math and science early childhood environments.
- Identify essential materials and useful resources for teaching math and sciencein the early childhood setting.
- Explore various types and applications of early childhood math manipulatives.
Technology in Early Childhood Math and Science Education
- Identify various types of software and hardware available for early childhood math and science education.
- Discuss developmentally effective uses of technology in early childhood math and science education.
- Examine appropriate methods of using the Internet to create meaningful learning experiences in early childhood math and science education.
- Use developmentally appropriate multimedia to support early childhood math and science education.
- Compare and contrast state technology standards with those of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE).
- Identify the critical skills children need to effectively use technology in early childhood math and science education.
Parent and Community Partnerships in Early Childhood Math and Science Education
- Develop an effective, comprehensive communication plan for families.
- Explore opportunities for family participation in early childhood math and science curriculum.
- Design early childhood math and science extension activities for the home environment.
History of Math and Science in Early Childhood Education
- Examine significant events in the evolution of early childhood math and science education.
- Explore theories of early childhood math and science education.
- Examine the effects of early childhood education on the position and policies of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and National Science Teachers Association (NSTA).
- Analyze the effects of teachers’ perceptions of math and of science on teaching and on learning in the early childhood environment.
The Teaching and Learning of Math in Early Childhood
- Explore early childhood math concepts.
- Differentiate between conceptual understanding and procedural knowledge in the teaching and learning of math in early childhood.
- Identify developmentally effective methods of mathematics instruction.
- Examine literature sources that support mathematical understandings for the young child.
- Use problem solving strategies to teach computation skills.
- Identify developmentally effective assessment strategies that demonstrate mathematical development.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.