edl505ca | Graduate
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Promoting Cultural Proficiency
- Critique professional development sessions.
- Describe personal reflections.
Leading Change to Foster Understanding of Cultural Proficiency
- Analyze the importance of communities of practice for fostering cultural competency.
- Develop an example plan for a professional development session.
- Examine the process of change.
Overview of Cultural Proficiency
- Examine tools for developing cultural proficiency.
- Relate the importance of reflection to culturally responsive instruction.
- Examine the cultural proficiency continuum.
- Assess personal cultural perspective.
The Culture of School Environments
- Relate the importance of learning styles to culturally responsive teaching.
- Analyze the characteristics of culturally responsive environments.
- Assess the culture of a school.
- Analyze how collaboration affects the school culture.
- Examine the research on poverty and disproportionality as it relates to proficient practices.
- Identify barriers to cultural proficiency.
Culturally Proficient Approach to Instruction
- Summarize the characteristics of a culturally proficient instructor.
- Examine culturally responsive curriculum and materials.
- Relate the mandates of No Child Left Behind (NCLB) to the need for culturally competent instruction.
- Examine the importance of using data to guide instruction.
Strategies to Support Culturally Responsive Instruction
- Develop a personal professional growth plan for moving toward more culturally competent practices.
- Research evidence-based strategies to support and develop culturally responsive instruction such as differentiated instruction, proactive behavior management, culturally responsive assessment, cooperative learning, inclusion pratices, and family/community involvement.
- Improve a lesson plan to provide culturally responsive instruction.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.