edl535 | Graduate
Legal And Ethical Issues In Education
topic title goes here
- Defend the due process rights of teachers and students.
- Review the legal responsibilities and obligations of an educator under a contract.
- Explain the changes that the “No Child Left Behind Act” has had on our education system.
- Research the current legal framework affecting public, charter, and alternative schools.
- Describe some of the possible limitations placed on a teacher’s freedom of expression.
Policies and Politics
- Determine who has the decision making power and control over public schools.
- Identify how politics govern our education system.
- Differentiate between the liability and responsibility of districts, schools and teachers.
- Evaluate the responsibility of schools with respect to student safety.
- Interpret the laws concerning religion and public schools.
- Examine the ethical responsibilities that schools have toward stakeholders.
- Examine legal and ethical issues concerning federal grants.
- Explain the ethical decision making process.
Examine the significance of sound curriculum, instruction, and assessment standards in our schools.
- Describe ethical use of technology for instruction.
- Explain the difference between standards-based assessment and traditional grading systems.
- Identify how high stakes testing has impacted the education of all students.
Privacy and Confidentiality
- Explain the legal requirements under the Family Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA).
Identify those who have the right to access student school records and why.
Analyze the current laws in place protecting the privacy and confidentiality of individuals with disabilities.
Discrimination and Equal protection
Review the legal issues related to sexual harassment of students and staff.
Identify different types of discrimination.
Examine the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.