Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Continuing Teacher Education
This course prepares participants to incorporate critical thinking strategies in the classroom. Opportunities are provided to implement critical thinking skills into the curriculum and learning environment. Participants determine instructional and assessment strategies for thinking critically across disciplines. This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
Foundations and Development of Critical Thinking and Understanding
- Define critical thinking.
- Identify components of the critical thinking process.
- Analyze the value of critical thinking in the classroom.
- Examine the principles of teaching for understanding as related to critical thinking.
- Apply the principles of teaching for understanding.
- Identify ways that critical thinking skills can be used to engage and motivate students in a culturally responsive environment.
- Identify critical thinking strategies for diverse learners.
Strategies for Teaching Critical Thinking
- Determine the need for inquiry-based learning.
- Identify ways to include inquiry-based learning in the classroom.
- Identify critical thinking strategies that can be used in the classroom.
- Evaluate collaborative strategies that support critical thinking.
- Develop lessons that incorporate inquiry and critical thinking skills.
Critical Thinking in the Content Areas
- Incorporate critical thinking strategies in the content areas.
- Justify the use of critical thinking in the content areas.
- Explain how critical readers interact with text.
- Analyze how integrated instruction develops critical thinking skills.
- Integrate critical thinking skills into the curriculum and learning environment.
Critical Thinking and Assessment
- Identify tools for assessing critical thinking.
- Evaluate strategies for assessing critical thinking.
- Develop an assessment tool for assessing critical thinking skills.