eld504 | Graduate
Assessment Of English Learners
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Reading and Writing Assessment
- Analyze research regarding the assessment of reading comprehension strategies for English learners.
- Select appropriate pre-reading, during-reading, and post-reading strategies.
- Analyze implications and applications for instructional literacy practices.
- Examine research related to reading and writing assessment.
Content Area Assessment
- Develop appropriate rubrics to assess reading, writing, listening, and speaking proficiencies.
- Identify how demographics have impacted content assessment.
- Examine features of content area reading that pose difficulty to English learners.
- Analyze how assessments influence instructional practices in educational settings.
- Compare and contrast the characteristics and uses of standardized and informal assessments.
Assessment and Intervention
- Explain the evolution of English learner programs
- Evaluate the interaction between first and second language literacy processes.
- Review guiding principles to foster biliteracy instruction.
- Evaluate options for assessing English learners’ cognitive and academic abilities.
- Determine the appropriateness of various assessments tools used to measure literacy proficiencies.
- Examine the relationship between language assessment and literacy instruction.
Assessment of Parental and/or Community Involvement with Literacy
- Synthesize research implications for effective parental and/or community involvement.
- Apply research findings to enhance parental and/or community involvement.
- Identify characteristics associated with diverse educational and/or work communities.
Policy and Rationale for Assessment
- Determine the purpose for assessment of English learners.
- Examine standard-based reforms.
- Analyze assessment accommodations or modifications for English learners.
- Discern the relationship among standards, assessments, and instructional planning.
- Explore assessment and its link to educational services for English learners.
Process of Second Language Acquisition
- Describe the relationship between first and second language literacy.
- Analyze the connection between oral language and literacy development.
- Demonstrate facilitative approaches to enhance language growth.
- Identify literacy skills assessed in educational settings.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.