eng215ca | undergraduate
Effective Academic Writing
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Principles of Authority and Argumentation
- Apply these concepts of authority and argument, as well as general principles of critical thinking, in writing academic essays and case study analyses.
- Define classical rhetorical concepts of authority (ethos, pathos, and logos), and identify their use in published essays.
- Define the terms in the Toulmin model of argument analysis (claim, warrant, support, qualifier, backing, and rebuttal) and apply this model to analyze the arguments contained in published essays.
Research and Supporting Evidence
- Evaluate the relevance, reliability, and objectivity of sources.
- Identify what makes sources effective support for specific topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to support ideas with appropriate evidence.
- Use peer editing methods to produce clear and concise writing.
- Transform written material into an integrated learning team presentation designed for effective visual and oral presentation.
- Integrate various writers' work into one cohesive document.
Documentation, Grammar, Punctuation, and Mechanics
- Apply the rules of English sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, style, and usage in written documents.
- Apply the rules of APA style to written research papers, using appropriate methods to summarize, paraphrase, quote, cite, and reference sources.
Argument Analysis and Persuasive Writing
- Interpret data for use in writing, and identify how that data is shaped by the genre and/or format in which it is presented.
- Analyze how professional writers organize their arguments and supporting material for maximum persuasive effect.
- Apply these principles of organization and presentation to shape a persuasive academic essay.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.