hcis245c | undergraduate
Fundamentals Of Information Systems For Health Care
This course introduces the fundamentals of computer systems and the role of information processing in today's health care environment. An overview is presented of information systems, systems development, operating systems and programming, database management, networking and telecommunications, the Internet, and how these resources are applied in the health care industry.
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Pharmacy, Emergency Department, and Surgical Information Systems
- Describe a pharmacy information system.
- Describe a surgical information system.
- Describe an emergency department information system.
- Discuss the functions that health care records serve.
- Identify forms used to record patient information.
- Describe how hardcopy health care records are organized and stored.
Reimbursements and Transaction Systems
- Describe different types of payment systems.
- Describe how electronic data interchange transactions work
Privacy and Security
Identify HIPAA privacy requirements.
- Analyze the effect of HIPAA on information system security.
Fundamentals of Information Systems
- Describe different types of computer networks.
- Explain the difference between computer hardware and software.
- Explain the purpose of a database.
- Identify the main components of a database.
- Explain relational data.
Electronic Health Records
- Describe the use of networks in exchange of EHR data to facilitate care.
- Describe the basic workflow of electronic health records.
- Describe the value of an electronic health record.
Health Information Accessibility
- Describe the use of the Internet in promoting access to health information.
- Describe various telecommunication tools for accessing health information.
- Identify the role of social media in today’s health care industry.
Public Health and Radiology Information Systems
- Describe a public health information system.
- Describe a radiology information system.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.