hcis255 | undergraduate
Structure And Design Of Electronic Health Records
This course introduces the fundamentals of computer systems and the role of information processing in today's health care environment. An overview is presented of information systems, systems development, operating systems and programming, database management, networking and telecommunications, the Internet, and how these resources are applied in the health care industry.
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Health Information Exchanges and Leveraging the Internet
- Identify privacy concerns with the use of HIE and the Internet.
- Identify consumer options within the health care Internet market.
- Describe the relationship between health information exchange (HIE) and health reform.
Regulatory Compliance, Privacy, and Security
- Identify physical and technical safeguards used to secure protected health information (PHI).
- Explain the application of electronic signatures.
- Identify key components of a compliance plan.
How the EHR Can Improve Patient Health
- Explain how improved communication affects patient health.
Describe prevention and early detection strategies.
- Identify documentation requirements for a history and physical.
- Demonstrate the ability to locate and enter health data into the EHR.
- Document patient clinical results with an anatomical drawing.
Defining the Health Record
- Explain the importance of the health record.
- Identify key components of the health record.
- Identify structured coding systems.
The Flow of Information Into the Health Record
- Describe the process for capturing and recording electronic health record (EHR) data.
- Define structured data sets .
- Identify the benefits and challenges of structured data sets.
Computerized Provider Order Entry
- Define computerized physician order entry (CPOE).
- Identify benefits of physician order entry.
- Explain how CPOE can protect the patient and the provider from medical errors.
Importance of Trending and Clinical Decision Support Tools
- Describe the purpose and utility of the clinical flow sheet.
- Explain the importance of the problem list.
- Identify clinical decision support tools.
Link Between the Revenue Cycle and the Clinical Record
- Describe the importance of an accurate registration.
- Identify minimum documentation requirements needed for reimbursement.
- Describe diagnosis codes.
- Describe the electronic tools used to ensure accurate evaluation and management coding.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.