hcs533 | Graduate
Health Information Systems
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Evolution and Application of Health Care Information Systems
- Identify various clinical and administrative applications of IT in health care organizations.
- Describe typical components of a health care IT department.
- Distinguish major events and technological advantages that influenced current HCIS practices.
Data Collection and Records
- Describe data elements related to various types of hospital and physician, office, and patient encounters.
- Differentiate between the uses of patient data to support clinical and research needs.
- Evaluate the functions, limitations, and significance of the EMR.
- Describe a model for assessing the degree to which an organization has adopted the use of an electronic medical record.
System Acquisition and Implementation
- Distinguish key elements of the system development life cycle.
- Describe how the RFP process is used in the system acquisition process.
- Distinguish key elements of successful IT project management.
- Assess factors that contribute to IT project failure.
IT Organization and Alignment for Health Care
- Examine the impact of the managerÃ¢â¬™s use of data to make decisions.
- Assess the impact of data quality on patient care, reimbursements, and clinical research.
- Describe effective data quality review and maintenance procedures.
Patient Information: Privacy and Security
- Discuss the role of the manager and HIPAA and patient privacy compliance.
- Describe the management plan for natural disasters or security breaches.
- Identify ethical and legal accessibility issues of sharing EMRs.
- Assess the impact of using the Internet to communicate patient-specific information.
- Discuss the impact of distance delivery on health care.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.