hum176 | undergraduate
Media And American Culture
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
The Significance of the Internet and the Digital Age
- Explain the implications of easily obtainable information in the digital age.
- Explain the concept of the digital divide.
- Assess credibility issues regarding information on the Internet.
The Role of Social Media and Virtual Networks
- Explain the role of social media and virtual networks in a broader media culture.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of social media.
The Impact of Audio Entertainment: Music and Radio
- Explain the reflective relationship between American culture and the audio entertainment media.
- Assess how music and radio have affected American values.
- Analyze the influence of music and radio on social behavior.
The Power of Images: Television and Film
- Explain the reflective relationship between American culture and the visual entertainment media.
- Assess how television and film have affected American values.
- Analyze the influence of television and film on social behavior.
The News Media: Journalism and Democracy
- Explain the social responsibilities of the news media.
- Describe the role of the news media in politics.
- Evaluate the transformative effect of electronic media on journalism.
- Assess how information media affect American values.
Advertising and the Culture of Consumerism
- Explain the role of advertising in a culture of consumerism.
- Outline key persuasive techniques used in consumer advertising.
- Identify critical issues in advertising.
Freedom of Expression in the Digital Age
- Assess the tension between free speech and constraints on free speech in media.
- Explain the legal and regulatory safeguards on free speech in the media.
The Formative Influence of Mass Media on American Culture
- Summarize the evolution of mass media.
- Identify the effects of mass media on American culture.
Critical Approaches to Mass Media
- Explain the implications of media convergence, in terms of both technology and business.
- Identify issues resulting from dependency on mass media.
- Describe the value of media literacy.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.