mdt521 | Graduate
Foundations Of Mediation II
This is the second segment of the foundation course for the Mediation/Conflict Management program that is designed to provide students with knowledge of the basic standards, principles, ethical issues, and skills needed for the practice of mediation. This course focuses on specific stages in the mediation process including the opening statement, storytelling, issue identification, agenda setting, negotiation techniques, dealing with impasse, and creating a mediation agreement.
Upon successful completion of MDT/520 and MDT/521, students will earn 40 contact hours of mediation training and three credit hours for each course.*
*Students should contact their state or local courts for criteria regarding specific qualifications for practicing mediation.
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Opening the Mediation Process
- Identify essential elements of an opening statement.
- Create an opening statement.
Issue Identification and Agenda Setting
- Recognize when to shift from storytelling and issue identification to the agenda setting.
- Examine the components of the agenda and the methods for ordering the agenda items to be negotiated.
- Identify negotiable issues to be addressed during the mediation.
Negotiation and Problem Solving
- Differentiate between competitive and cooperative negotiation.
- Analyze mediator techniques for disputant problem solving.
- Identify the factors that contribute to an impasse and techniques to break through an impasse.
- Evaluate the language used in mediation agreements.
- Create a mediation agreement.
Alternative Mediation Models
- Explore applications of alternative mediation models.
Overview of Mediator Conduct
- Identify standards of conduct and ethics for mediators.
- Explain the importance upholding standards of conduct and ethics for both disputants and mediators.
- Examine mediator skills and the need for professional competencies.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.