mfcc556 | Graduate
Family Systems Theory
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Strategic and Structural Family Therapy
- Differentiate between the various approaches to experiential family therapy.
- Describe the strategic family therapy approach to therapeutic intervention.
- Examine the structural family therapy approach to therapeutic intervention.
- Explain attachment theory’s relevance to family therapy and the major contributors to attachment theory.
Behavioral and Cognitive-Behavioral Approaches to Family Therapy
- Explain behavioral approaches to family therapy.
- Describe cognitive-behavioral approaches to family therapy.
- Examine the history and approaches of concurrent, conjoint, and sex therapies.
Postmodern Approaches, Including Feminism and Integrative Models to Family Therapy, and Assessment
- Conceptualize feminist theory and the feminist critique of family therapy.
- Discuss the variety of narrative approaches to family therapy.
- Examine the solution-focused approach to family therapy.
Trends and Issues of Family Systems Therapy
- Describe issues about financial and social stress as it relates to family therapy.
- Explain the current trend toward the integration of various models of family therapy.
Definition of Family, Overview of Family Systems Approach, and Key Contributors
- Describe the contributions of major theorists to family systems theory.
- Discuss the various definitions of family, including cohabitation, marriage, divorce, and blended and complex families.
- Contrast the assumptions of individual psychology and family systems theory.
Psychoanalytic, Intergenerational, and Experiential Family Therapies
- Identify the early psychoanalytic family therapies.
- Examine the object relations approaches to family systems therapy.
- Describe the unique aspects of the intergenerational approach to family therapy.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.