mte505 | Graduate
Child And Adolescent Development
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Stages of Cognitive, Intellectual, and Language Development
- Examine the stages of cognitive development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence
- Compare and contrast varying theories of cognitive development
- Examine the theory of information processing as it applies to attention and memory
- Describe the applications of information processing to student learning
- Evaluate teacher behaviors that promote students' thinking abilities
Stages of Cognitive, Intellectual, and Language Development (cont.)
- Analyze definitions of intelligence
- Examine the application and impact of intelligence testing on learning
- Describe the components and theories of language development
- Explain the stages of language development
Gender Roles and Stereotyping
- Analyze changes in gender identity from early childhood through adolescence
- Describe various influences on gender stereotyping
- Explain the development and adoption of gender roles
Stages of Social and Emotional Development
- Examine the stages of social and emotional development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence
- Describe the relationship of social and emotional development to student learning and behavior
- Describe the development of self-awareness in infants and toddlers
- Analyze changes in self-esteem from early childhood through adolescence
Stages of Social and Emotional Development (cont.)
- Describe morality as it relates to societal norms and social understanding
- Examine the development of moral reasoning and self control in early and middle childhood and in adolescence
History and Research on the Study of Human Development
- Evaluate the application of educational theory to classroom observations
- Describe the history and study of human development and the issues that have guided study in the field
- Identify the leading life span theorists and their theories
Family Influences on Child and Adolescent Development
- Examine the functions that modern families play in society
- Describe the influence of various child-rearing styles on development in early and middle childhood and in adolescence
- Analyze how family structures influence behavior and functioning in children and adolescents
Peer and Media Influences on Child and Adolescent Development
- Describe the importance of peer relations on development
- Analyze the impact of the media on student learning
Stages of Physical Development
- Examine the stages of physical development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.