mte506ca | Graduate
Child And Adolescent Development
topic title goes here
Peer and Media Influences on Child and Adolescent Development
- Analyze the effects of media on student development and learning.
- Describe the physiological and sociological effects of alcohol, narcotics, drugs, and tobacco.
Describe the importance of peer relationships on development.
Stages of Social and Emotional Development
- Examine the development of moral reasoning and self-control in early and middle childhood and in adolescence.
- Examine the stages of social and emotional development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence.
Describe the relationship of social and emotional development to student learning and behavior.
Describe the development of self-awareness in infants and toddlers.
- Analyze changes in self-esteem from early childhood through adolescence.
- Describe morality as it relates to societal norms and social understanding.
History and Research on the Study of Human Development
Evaluate the application of educational theory in observations of classroom practice.
- Identify the leading human development theorists and their theories.
- Describe the history of the study of human development and the issues that have guided study in the field.
Stages of Physical Development
- Examine the stages of physical development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence.
- Identify effective strategies for encouraging the healthy nutrition of children and youth.
Stages of Cognitive and Intellectual Development
- Compare varying theories of cognitive development.
- Examine the stages of cognitive development in infancy, early childhood, middle childhood, and adolescence.
- Examine the theory of information processing as it applies to attention and memory.
- Describe the application of information processing to student learning.
- Analyze definitions of intelligence.
- Examine the application and impact of intelligence testing on learning.
- Evaluate teacher behaviors that promote students’ thinking abilities.
Development and Perceptions of Gender Roles
- Explain the development and adoption of gender roles.
- Describe various influences on perceptions of gender roles.
- Analyze changes in gender identity from early childhood through adolescence.
Stages of Language Development
- Explain the stages of language development.
- Describe the components and theories of language development.
- Analyze the implications of language development for teaching and learning.
Family Influences on Child and Adolescent Development
Describe the influence of various child-rearing styles on development in early and middle childhood and in adolescence.
Analyze how family structures influence behavior and functioning in children and adolescents.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.