mte538 | Graduate
Curriculum Constructs And Assessment: English/language Arts
topic title goes here
- Utilize standards to define the skills students must develop to read and to respond to a variety of texts critically
- Develop strategies for expanding student literacy through the study of a wide variety of genre
- Define the developmental stages of writing
- Analyze the elements of an effective writing workshop and adapt those elements to meet student needs
- Analyze the use of rubrics in teaching and evaluating writing
Reporting Student Achievement
- Define methods for reporting student achievement
English/Language Arts Curriculum
- Examine course outlines for local education agencies (e.g., districts)
Oral Language and Speech
- Analyze the components of an effective speech
- Create a rubric for evaluating speeches
Federal Legislation and Accountability
- Examine the implications of the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act
English/Language Arts Standards
- Understand the progression of K-12 standards in English and language arts
Envisioning the English/Language Arts Professional
- Describe the role and function of an English/language arts professional
Lesson Planning and Assessment
- Utilize standards to create lesson plans and develop units of study
- Analyze the elements of an effective lesson plan that integrates assessment strategies
- Identify assessment tools and the academic areas they measure
Factors that Impact English/Language Arts Instruction
- Define the developmental differences between students and how this impacts lesson design and instructional strategies
- Identify strategies for promoting positive learning environments in English/language arts classrooms
- Analyze instructional strategies that meet the learning needs of diverse students
- Examine strategies for building students’ comprehension and vocabulary skills in reading
- Develop strategies for helping students become reflective readers
Media and Technology in the English/Language Arts Classroom
- Analyze the role of technology in English/language arts instruction
- Develop strategies for establishing critical reading skills for various media
- Analyze the influence of visual and print media in our society and its impact on learning
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.