mte551ca | Graduate
Curriculum Constructs And Assessment: Physical Education
This course explores the secondary physical education classroom, professionalism, curriculum, and teaching and assessment strategies. Participants identify the educational needs of secondary students by exploring current instructional theory, national and state standards including the developing motor skills through activities, developing levels of physical fitness, understanding principles of human movement, and developing and practicing social skills and the value of fair play in games and sports. The course also helps prospective educators develop skills in selecting and adapting instruction for diverse student populations. The course will also emphasize classroom and sport/field management skills and safety as they relate to physical education instruction.
topic title goes here
Parent, Teacher, and Community Collaboration
- Explain the importance of parent/teacher communication and collaboration.
Explore strategies to utilize community resources in the physical education classroom.
- Determine strategies for increasing the level of parental involvement.
Explore the range of social, health, educational and language-related service agencies and other resources that are available at school and off-campus.
- Examine how family and personal experiences shape teaching/learning perceptions in the physical education classroom.
Classroom Assessments and Rubrics
Evaluate the characteristics of effective physical education assessment.
Analyze formative and summative physical education assessments and rubrics.
Construct a performance-based assessment.
Construct an open-ended assessment.
- Analyze professional resources available to physical education teachers.
- Review the roles of physical education professional organizations.
- Identify professional development opportunities in physical education available in your state.
- Analyze the importance of staying current in physical education.
Standards and Curricula
Describe the importance of curriculum mapping in planning and preparation.
Examine state and national physical education standards.
Instructional Approaches and Strategies
Review approaches to unit and lesson planning in teaching physical education.
Propose innovative instructional strategies and materials used to teach physical education to adolescents.
Analyze ways in which differentiating instruction occurs in the physical education classroom.
Identify ways in which classroom management techniques can enhance the physical education classroom.
Analyze effective motivational techniques to engage physical education students.
Develop an instructional unit for physical education.
Reading and Writing Strategies
Evaluate current physical education texts.
Describe methods to incorporate reading and writing strategies into physical education lessons.
Examine strategies for building students' comprehension and vocabulary skills in physical education.
- Implement reading and writing strategies in a physical education lesson.
Integrating Literature, Technology, and Media
Integrate literature into a physical education lesson.
Analyze the legal and ethical issues regarding the use of technology in the classroom.
Compile a list of fiction and non-fiction literature to enhance the teching of physical education.
- Explore various technologies and media that can be used to support physical education instruction.
- Evaluate physical education materials and equipment appropriate to instruction.
Review of Physical Education Content Knowledge
- Define physical education in secondary schools.
Examine your state's teacher licensure examinations for physical education.
History and Trends in Physical Education
- Explain a rationale that supports physical education in the secondary curriculum.
- Explain historical perspectives and trends in the study of physical education.
- Examine current themes and trends in the teaching of physical education.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.