mte555 | Graduate
topic title goes here
Sentence Patterns and Language Structure Rules
- Examine sentence structures.
- Identify phrase structure rules.
- Analyze the relatedness of sentences.
- Compare and contrast the meaning of grammatical versus ungrammatical.
Phonetics and Phonology
- Identify speech sounds and alphabetic principles.
- Analyze articulatory phonetics.
- Identify a variety of suprasegmental features.
- Examine rules of phonology, pronunciation of morphemes, and phonemes.
- Describe articulation of vowel production.
- Identify the process of language acquisition.
- Examine theories and development of bilingualism.
- Compare and contrast first- and second-language acquisition.
- Distinguish animal language from human language acquisition.
- Analyze how children learn language and construct grammar.
Language and Society
- Identify the role of dialects in society.
- Examine common dialects in your region.
- Explore various aspects of pidgins, styles, slang, and taboos.
The Nature of Human Language
- Examine linguistic knowledge and performance.
- Define grammar and language universals.
- Analyze how the human brain processes language.
Grammatical and Pragmatic Aspects of Language
- Define the term morpheme and the rules of word formation.
- Explain the use of morphemes to create meaningful words.
- Examine the properties of semantics.
- Analyze sentence structures and phrase meanings.
- Compare and contrast the use of pragmatics in a variety of social contexts.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.