mte559 | Graduate
Curriculum Constructs And Assessment: Secondary Methods
topic title goes here
Methods of Teaching in Specific Content Areas
- Analyze basic teaching methods and their applications in a secondary school setting.
- Apply current methods for teaching in a specific content area.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the variety of materials available for instructional use.
- Evaluate effective pre-assessment strategies to determine what to teach and assess.
Instructional Planning in the Secondary School (continued)
- Apply the concept of backwards design to instructional planning.
Role of Assessment (continued)
- Explain the role of assessment in learning and instruction.
- Examine the characteristics of sound classroom assessments.
- Analyze critical issues related to assessment.
Classroom Assessment (continued)
- Examine methods of increasing reliability and validity of student assessments.
- Examine scoring tool(s), either analytic or holistic, that accompany performance assessments.
- Design a complete performance assessment for students in (a) selected content area(s) and level(s).
- Describe various types of performance assessments.
Students with Special Needs and Educational Assessments
- Examine various assessment tools for evaluation of students with special needs.
Student Portfolio Assessments
- Describe the key elements of an effective student portfolio.
Standardized Testing: Norm- and Criterion-Referenced Tests
- Examine standardized testing formats and terms and the vocabulary used to explain student results.
- Analyze appropriateness of standardized tests and procedures for administration and score reporting.
- Compare norm-referenced and criterion-referenced tests.
- Examine critical issues related to assessment.
Reporting Student Progress
- Analyze factors in report card grades.
- Compare arguments for each factor in report card grades.
- Examine methods for recording student progress and determining final grades.
National, State, and Local Curriculum and Instruction Standards
- Apply national, state, and local standards for instruction in a specific content area.
Role of Assessment
- Analyze personal beliefs about classroom assessment.
Educational Needs of Secondary Students
- Identify the educational needs and attitudes of secondary students.
- Analyze social and developmental issues that impact secondary classrooms.
Instructional Planning in the Secondary School
- Apply methods of integrating secondary curricula.
Apply the concept of backwards design to instructional planning.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.