mte567ca | Graduate
Curriculum Const & Assmt: Secondary History/social Science
topic title goes here
Reading and Writing Strategies
- Examine how primary source literature can shape teaching and learning perceptions in the social studies or history classroom.
- Examine how secondary source literature can shape teaching and learning perceptions in the social studies or history classroom.
- Describe methods to incorporate reading and writing strategies into social studies lessons.
- Examine strategies for building student comprehension and vocabulary skills in social studies.
- Integrate reading and writing strategies into a social studies lesson.
History, Trends, and Content Knowledge in History and Social Studies Education
- Examine state and national standards for secondary history and social studies.
- Examine your stateâs teacher licensure examinations for history and social science education.
- Examine trends in the history of social studies instruction in public schools.
- Identify current trends and issues in the teaching of social studies.
Parent, Teacher, and Community Collaboration and Professional Development
- Explore strategies to utilize community resources in the social studies classroom.
- Explore the range of social, health, education, and language-related service agencies and other resources that are available at school or off-campus.
- Examine how family and personal experiences shape teaching and learning perceptions in the social studies or history classroom.
- Determine strategies for increasing the level of parental involvement in education.
- Analyze professional resources and continued development opportunities available to social studies teachers.
Standards and Assessments
- Review state and national social studies standards and assessments.
- Analyze the implications of the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) themes for instruction.
- Identify various strategies for assessing social studies learning objectives for all learners.
- Analyze formative and summative social studies assessments and rubrics.
- Develop rubrics to evaluate and assess student performance.
Instructional Approaches and Strategies
- Review approaches to unit and lesson planning in teaching social studies.
- Propose innovative instructional strategies and materials used to teach social studies to adolescents.
- Analyze ways in which differentiating instruction occurs in the social studies classroom.
- Identify ways in which classroom management techniques can enhance the social studies classroom.
- Develop an instructional unit for social studies.
Media and Technology
- Analyze the legal and ethical issues regarding the use of technology in the classroom.
- Incorporate the use of technology in social studies instruction.
- Identify major online websites for the teaching of social studies.
- Identify media sources for teaching social studies.
- Research options for students who do not have access to technology in their homes and classrooms.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.