Survey of Research & Statistics
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Survey of Research & Statistics
Course level: Undergraduate
This course is designed to introduce basic principles and methods of statistics, reasoning, and understanding of psychological data. Statistical and research concepts will be reviewed, and students will be introduced to statistical analysis.
A prerequisite is required for this course. The purpose of a prerequisite is to ensure students have the knowledge and/or skills needed to be successful in the course. Students are required to provide proof of prerequisite during the enrollment/registration process. To meet to a course prerequisite requirement, a student must have successfully completed the prerequisite course at University of Phoenix, provide proof via transcript of completing a comparable course (at least 75% match) or higher level course with at least a grade of C at another institution or have a University of Phoenix approved Student Appeal on file with the University.
This course requires the prerequisite below. Click on the prerequisite course to review the course topics and objectives.
PSY/203 - Foundations of Psychology or equivalent
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-354-1800.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
Psychological Research and Ethical Considerations
- Articulate the goals of psychological research.
- Apply the steps of the research process.
- Compose research questions.
- Evaluate the role of ethics in research.
- Recognize the influence of cultural diversity on the interpretation of research findings.
Considerations for Conducting Research
- Outline the various types of qualitative research.
- Explain the characteristics of effective qualitative research.
- Evaluate factors that may have an unanticipated influence on research.
- Identify nonexperimental research methods.
- Explain the purpose and process of correlational research.
- Justify the use of ex post facto research.
- Evaluate the design and function of surveys and questionnaires.
- Measure the effectiveness of different sampling methods.
- Compare the different scales of measurement.
- Evaluate measures of central tendency and variability.
- Assess the advantages and limitations of using graphical representations for data.
- Interpret the analysis of correlational data.
- Recognize the key parts of a research article.
- Explain the effects of biased language when reporting research.
- Demonstrate the application of research findings to real-world situations.