psy270 | undergraduate
Abnormal Psychology: Abuse, Addiction, And Disorders
topic title goes here
- Identify personality disorders using criteria in the DSM-IV.
- Identify various somatoform disorders, their causes, and their treatment methods.
- Identify various dissociative disorders, their causes, and their treatment methods.
- Explain possible problems associated with the DSM-IV.
- Describe the four Ds of psychological abnormality.
- Discuss current trends in treating psychological disorders.
- List advantages and disadvantages of various research methods.
Assessing, Diagnosing, and Treating Psychological Disorders
- Match the causes and treatments of disorders to their respective models of abnormality.
- Summarize the classification of mental disorders.
- Examine various clinical assessment tools.
- Discuss how the effectiveness of therapies is determined.
Anxiety and Stress
- Examine anxiety disorders from various psychological perspectives.
- Discuss types and causes of phobias.
- Summarize psychological and psychophysiological stress disorders.
Depression and Mood Disorders
- Identify causal factors of suicide.
- Summarize the symptoms, causes, and treatments for unipolar and bipolar disorders.
Eating Disorders and Substance Abuse
- Distinguish between anorexia and bulimia.
- Discuss causes of eating disorders.
- Describe the causal factors and treatments of substance abuse based on various models of abnormality.
Schizophrenia and Insanity
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of an insanity defense.
- Compare the biological, psychological, and sociocultural views of schizophrenia.
- Explain the methods used in treating schizophrenia.
- Summarize the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Problems of Childhood and Adolescence
- Compare childhood anxiety and depression disorders to adult anxiety and depression disorders.
- Compare and contrast disruptive behavior disorder and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
- Describe the long-term childhood disorders of autism and mental retardation.
- Discuss the value of a background in psychology.
- Analyze a psychological disorder.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.