psych630 | Graduate
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
A Physiological Approach to Understanding Behavior
- Describe research methods and strategies used by physiological psychologists.
- Explain the underlying assumptions of a biopsychological approach to understanding behavior and consciousness.
- Explain the relationship between the nervous system and behavior.
The Cells of the Nervous System
- Identify the basic structure and function of a neuron.
- Describe the basic structure and function of supporting cells in the central nervous system.
- Describe the primary neurotransmitters’ role in behavior.
- Describe the role of pharmakinetics on neurotransmission.
- Explain the temporary and lasting effects of pharmaceutical drugs on the brain.
Neurophysiology of Vision, Audition, and Motor Control
- Explain common neurological disorders that interrupt vision, hearing, and motor control.
- Explain the nature of sensation and perception as they apply to the five senses.
- Evaluate the relationship between sensation, perception, and consciousness.
- Describe the physiology of the visual, auditory, and motor pathways.
Psychopharmacology and Drug Abuse
- Examine the structural and functional effects of drug use on neurophysiology and neurochemistry.
- Describe the neurological mechanisms involved in addictive behavior.
- Describe therapies used to treat substance abuse disorders.
Learning, Memory, and Emotions
- Examine the relationship between learning and memory.
- Examine the relationship between memory and emotions.
- Explain the neurophysiology of learning and memory pathways.
- Analyze the effects of stress on memory and emotions.
The Nature of Neurological and Psychological Disorders
- Discuss the behavioral symptoms associated with neurological, psychological, or neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Evaluate cognitive and pharmacological therapies used to treat neurological, psychological, or neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Examine contemporary attitudes toward psychopharmacology in treating neurophysiological disorders.
- Analyze the neurophysiological underpinnings of diseases and disorders.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.