rdg542 | Graduate
Curr Const & Assmt: Reading Methods For Secondary Settings
topic title goes here
- Use pre-reading strategies such as anticipation guides, graphic organizers, Pre-P, and K-W-L charts.
- Assess the importance of prior knowledge in the reading process.
National and State Standards
- Examine national and state content area standards.
- Examine national and state language arts standards.
Guided Reading Strategies
- Use guided reading strategies such as Re-Quest, K-W-L charts, Question-Answer Relationships (QAR), note-taking, reciprocal teaching, and SQ3R.
Post-Reading and Study Strategies
- Use post-reading and study strategies such as semantic mapping, graphic organizers, Venn diagrams, outlining, and summaries.
- Examine informal assessment procedures such as the Content Reading Inventory and the Cloze procedure.
- Examine formal assessment procedures such as standardized reading tests.
Considerations for Textbook Choice
- Analyze the organization and content of a textbook to determine its classroom suitability.
- Determine the readability of a textbook using the Fry Graph.
Writing in the Content Areas
- Examine the writing process.
- Use holistic and analytic trait scoring.
Supplementary Resources in the Content Areas
- Evaluate supplementary resources appropriate to chosen content, such as the Internet, trade books, periodicals, and software and multimedia.
- Analyze methods for teaching content area vocabulary.
Content Area Literacy
- Examine trends in literacy.
- Generate a rationale for content area literacy.
- Define literacy.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.