rdg545 | Graduate
Culturally Responsive Reading Methods And Materials
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Writing Instruction for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Design writing activities for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
- Examine stages of writing development.
- Examine research-based methods of writing instruction.
Selecting Materials and Methods appropriate for the classroom, school, and community
- Describe your vision of a culturally responsive classroom including the methods and materials you would use.
- Obtain demographic information about a specific community.
- Recommend reading instructional methods and materials that represent your vision of a culturally responsive classroom.
- Create a plan for communicating materials and methods selection to the community.
Selection and Evaluation of Culturally Responsive Textbook Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Describe the advantages of having different cultures represented in the classroom.
- Analyze textbooks for authentic inclusion of diverse cultures.
- Analyze textbook selection processes, by school, district, and state.
- Propose a system for the selection of textbook materials for literacy instruction that meets the needs of culturally and linguistically diverse learners in a given community.
- Examine the specific needs of learners with regard to culture, gender, age, and stages of development.
Selection and Evaluation of Culturally Responsive Non-Textbook Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Identify guidelines to be used for selecting non-textbook materials, including trade books, software, and web-based materials.
- Create a plan for collaborating with school librarians or media specialists as resources for materials selection.
- Recommend multicultural literature for a grade-level theme.
- Analyze criteria for the selection of multicultural literature for classroom use.
Instructional Methods for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Examine state standards for the instruction of English language learners.
- Research state and federal mandates for organizing literacy instruction for English language learners.
- Design literacy instruction for English language learners, using research-based models.
Differentiated Instruction for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Describe the purposes of differentiated instruction.
- Identify methods of differentiating instruction for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
- Plan a process for introducing and organizing differentiated literacy instruction for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
Please ask about these special rates:
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.