rdg548 | Graduate
Culturally Responsive Methods And Materials
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Selection and Evaluation of Culturally Responsive Textbook Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Describe the advantages of having different cultures represented in the classroom.
- Analyze textbooks for authentic inclusion of diverse cultures.
- Analyze textbook selection processes by school, district, and state.
- Examine the needs of learners with regard to culture, gender, age, and stages of development.
Selection and Evaluation of Culturally Responsive Non-Textbook Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Identify guidelines to be used for selecting non-textbook materials, including trade books, software, and web-based materials.
- Analyze criteria for selecting multicultural literature for classroom use.
- Create a plan for collaborating with school librarians or media specialists as resources for materials selection.
Instructional Methods for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Examine Common Core or other state standards related to literacy instruction for English language learners.
- Identify state and federal mandates for organizing literacy instruction for English language learners.
- Design literacy instruction for English language learners, using research-based models.
- Identify methods of differentiating instruction for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
Writing Instruction for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Examine research-based methods of writing instruction.
- Examine stages of writing development.
- Design writing activities for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
Selecting Materials and Methods Appropriate for the Classroom, School, and Community
- Describe your vision of a culturally responsive classroom including the methods and materials you would use.
- Evaluate community demographic information to discern the community’s cultural and linguistic diversity.
- Create a plan for communicating materials and methods selection to the community.
- Recommend reading instructional methods and materials that represent your vision of a culturally responsive classroom.
- All objectives apply.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.