rdng504 | Graduate
Phonological Theory And Application
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Technology and Interventions
- Identify multimedia and technology tools to enhance phonics instruction in reading, writing, and spelling.
- Evaluate phonics interventions used for beginning readers and older readers who are struggling.
- Identify best practices in teaching phonics and differentiating phonics instruction for diverse learners.
Overview of Phonics in Education
- Define phonological awareness, phonemic awareness, and phonics.
- Discuss the history and controversy of using phonics instruction in schools.
- Evaluate basic approaches to and most current research on phonics instruction.
- Identify the linguistic, neurological, cognitive, and socio-cultural factors that influence reading and writing.
Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
- Explain the role of phonological awareness and phonemic awareness in the reading process.
- Identify strategies for embedding the components of phonological and phonemic awareness in instruction.
- Adapt components of phonological and phonemic awareness strategies for diverse learners.
- Identify assessments used to assess phonological and phonemic awareness.
Phonics in Reading, Writing, and Spelling Instruction
- Describe the role phonics and high-frequency words play in reading fluency.
- Identify texts and strategies for embedding phonics instruction within authentic reading, writing, and spelling tasks.
- Identify activities and strategies for using word sorts in phonics instruction.
- Create effective phonics assessments related to reading, writing, and spelling.
- Explain the stages of spelling development.
- Adapt phonics strategies in writing and spelling tasks for diverse learners.
- Create effective phonics assessments related to writing and spelling.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.