rdng509 | Graduate
Adolescent Reading And Writing Strategies
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Assessments for Reading and Evaluating Reading Instruction Materials
- Analyze methods for evaluating textbooks, technology, trade books, and supplementary materials for reading instruction.
- Examine formative, summative, and standardized assessments for reading lessons.
- Examine methods for analyzing and interpreting student assessment results.
- Analyze the writing process.
- Examine writing strategies that promote higher-level thinking.
- Use various writing assessment tools.
- Determine how to use technology to strengthen studentsâ writing.
Defining Literacy and the Effective Practices of Teaching It
- Analyze the different definitions of literacy.
- Determine the effective practices of teaching reading and writing.
- Examine the English Language Arts Common Core State Standards for grades 6â12 and the NCTE/IRA Standards for the English Language Arts.
- Investigate bilingual education laws and their impact on reading instruction for English language learners.
Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary Strategies
- Analyze appropriate comprehension strategies such as the use of pre-reading, guided reading, and post-reading activities for students.
- Examine literal, interpretive, and applied comprehension strategies as implemented in middle and high schools.
- Determine strategies to improve reading comprehension for linguistically diverse students and students with special needs.
- Evaluate pedagogical approaches to vocabulary development.
- Analyze a variety of graphic organizers, instructional techniques, and technologies that support comprehension and metacognitive strategies.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.