read545 | Graduate
Culturally Responsive Reading Methods And Materials
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Selecting Materials and Methods appropriate for the classroom, school, and community
- Create a plan for communicating materials and methods selection to the community.
- Describe your vision of a culturally responsive classroom including the methods and materials you would use.
- Obtain demographic information about a specific community.
- Recommend reading instructional methods and materials that represent your vision of a culturally responsive classroom.
Selection and Evaluation of Culturally Responsive Textbook Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Examine the specific needs of learners with regard to culture, gender, age, and stages of development.
- Describe the advantages of having different cultures represented in the classroom.
- Analyze textbooks for authentic inclusion of diverse cultures.
- Analyze textbook selection processes, by school, district, and state.
- Propose a system for the selection of textbook materials for literacy instruction that meets the needs of culturally and linguistically diverse learners in a given community.
Selection and Evaluation of Culturally Responsive Non-Textbook Materials for Literacy Instruction
- Identify guidelines to be used for selecting non-textbook materials, including trade books, software, and web-based materials.
- Analyze criteria for the selection of multicultural literature for classroom use.
- Create a plan for collaborating with school librarians or media specialists as resources for materials selection.
- Recommend multicultural literature for a grade-level theme.
Instructional Methods for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Examine state standards for the instruction of English language learners.
- Research state and federal mandates for organizing literacy instruction for English language learners.
- Design literacy instruction for English language learners, using research-based models.
Differentiated Instruction for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Describe the purposes of differentiated instruction.
- Identify methods of differentiating instruction for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
- Plan a process for introducing and organizing differentiated literacy instruction for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
Writing Instruction for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Examine stages of writing development.
- Examine research-based methods of writing instruction.
- Design writing activities for culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.