schc510 | Graduate
Human Diversity And Special Populations In School Counseling
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Individual Differences and the Counseling Process
- Examine the similarities and differences in how various cultures define the role of the counselor and the role of the client.
- Define worldview , culture , ethnicity , prejudice , privilege , and related concepts.
- Explore the personal biases, prejudices, and limitations associated with a worldview.
- Explore the dynamics of diversity and cultural upbringing as they pertain to the counselor in training.
- Evaluate how counseling reflects the worldview of the dominant culture and the potential effects on nondominant cultures.
Counseling Interventions for Diverse Populations
- Identify cross-cultural issues and interventions for real or hypothetical cases.
Cultural Counselor Competencies/Ethical Considerations
- Assess local counseling resources and referral agencies that specialize in a subgroup or population.
- Discuss how differences in culture and context between the counselor and the client may affect counselor effectiveness.
- Examine ethical guidelines for counseling clients from diverse groups.
- Compare and contrast counseling strategies that are effective and applicable to diverse populations.
Overview of Cultural Counseling: Current State of the Profession
- Examine the historical development of cultural counseling.
- Identify emerging standards concerning delivery of services in mental health.
- Explore contemporary issues.
Culture, Lifespan and Lifestyle, and Misunderstandings
- Utilize newly acquired insights and strategies that reflect cultural competence.
- Assess commonalities and differences that exist among various diverse groups regarding their attitudes, beliefs, needs, and philosophies, and propose effective counseling strategies.
- Describe the characteristics of an effective cultural counselor.
- Examine the concerns and struggles often facing cultural counselors in a predominantly European American, youth-oriented, and able-bodied society.
Demonstrate newly acquired insights and strategies that reflect the differences of diverse populations.
Sociopolitical, Educational, Career, Social, and Personal Growth
- Examine the similarities and differences within the dominant culture, including distinctions among European American ethnic groups.
- Evaluate the educational, professional, and social struggles often facing diverse groups in a predominantly European American, youth-oriented, and able-bodied society.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.