schc519 | Graduate
Delivery Of Services In School Counseling
This course is aligned with the national school counseling model by introducing the student to the delivery components of effective school counseling programs including the guidance curriculum, individual planning, responsive services and system support. Students will learn how these services are appropriately delivered at the different school levels from kindergarten through high school.
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Delivering Developmental School Counseling Curriculum
- Examine the process of planning, developing, and delivering school counseling curriculum in the classroom setting.
- Examine the scope and responsibility of the school counselor in developing a school counseling curriculum.
Education and Career Planning
- Explore current trends in education and career planning interventions in schools.
- Identify developmental approaches to assist students and parents at points of educational transition.
- Examine strategies for building constructive partnerships with parents, guardians, families, and communities in order to promote each student’s academic, career, and personal/social success.
- Examine individual and small-group counseling approaches that promote school success through academic, career, personal/social development.
- Explore interventions that utilize expressive arts as a strategy for students to resolve personal issues and set goals.
- Explain the role and function of other mental health professionals in schools and in the community.
- Examine approaches to peer facilitation, including peer helper, peer tutor, and peer mediation programs.
Key Components of a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Examine the components of a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Analyze the processes of designing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Identify the roles of various school personnel in a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Examine school counselor competencies that apply to a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Identify the systems support elements in a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Explain the importance of professional development in the comprehensive school counseling area.
- Identify strategies for managing personal stress as a school counselor.
Specialized and Complex Problems
- Identify approaches to recognize and assist children and adolescents affected by substance abuse issues, and mental and emotional issues.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.