schc592 | Graduate
Practicum In School Counseling
The Practicum is designed to help students make a transition from the academic study of school counseling concepts to the practical application of these concepts in the school setting. Students are closely supervised as they develop skills in the comprehensive school counseling areas of responsive services, guidance curriculum, individual planning, and system support. The practicum experience includes on campus classroom hours and 100 Practicum hours at a school site.
This graduate-level course is 10 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Delivery System: Individual Student Planning
Determine strategies to include parents, guardians, and school personnel in student advisement.
Determine appropriate content and format for case notes.
- Apply legal and ethical standards in the practice of school counseling.
Identify developmentally appropriate appraisal practices for career and educational planning.
Accountability: School Counselor Performance Standards
Determine evaluation techniques to measure school counseling program effectiveness.
Determine self-assessment techniques to measure counselor effectiveness.
Evaluate student assessment techniques used by school counselors.
- Demonstrate ability to address social and cultural factors in assessment.
Delivery Systems: Responsive Services
Follow appropriate referral processes for students or clients needing community resources.
- Determine appropriate interventions for various crisis situations in the school.
Demonstrate effective theory-based strategies for conducting individual and small group counseling with diverse student populations.
Demonstrate effective counseling skills ensuring equitable student access to promote academic achievement, personal/social growth and career development.
System Support: Consultation and Collaboration
Determine strategies for productive collaboration with school stakeholders.
Identify opportunities for consultation with stakeholders who work with students.
- Describe the importance of professional development for school counselors.
- Identify state regulations and requirements for school counselor licensure.
- Summarize models of counselor supervision as they apply to the school counselor trainee.
- Describe expectations of professional behavior during counseling practicum and tenets of a professional counselor identity.
- Identify state curriculum requirements for school counseling.
The ASCA Model
- Analyze the ASCA National Model as a framework for comprehensive, developmental school counseling.
- Examine various ways the ASCA National Model could be integrated into the essential goals of the school, district, and state standards.
- Review ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors.
- Relate personal and professional values and goals to the goals and values in the school community.
- Analyze the importance of the mission statement, standards, and school counselor competencies in a comprehensive, developmental school counseling program.
- Establish a personal philosophy of school counseling incorporating school counselor competencies.
Delivery System: School Guidance Curriculum
Develop school counseling curriculum that addresses academic, career, and personal/social domains of the ASCA National Model.
Evaluate strategies for successful classroom management and facilitation of learning.
- Determine strategies for contributing to the students’ academic performance, including study skills and test taking strategies.
Accountability: Program Results and Audit
Analyze the ethical considerations of communicating assessment and evaluation results.
Describe the counselor’s responsibility to interpret and respond to assessment results in the student’s best interest.
Identify strategies for tracking and record keeping for the evaluation of a school counseling program.
- Interpret data to provide a rationale for implementing a results-oriented developmental school counseling program.
Describe how school management and organization may influence counselor effectiveness.
Develop tools and strategies for time management and daily tasks.
Evaluate practicum site experiences, including strengths and areas for improvement.
- Facilitate closure of practicum site work and professional relationships.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.